Friday, January 9, 2015

This blog focuses on my study of text in art and how to define text by using materials that I believe represent the text. 

16 comments:

  1. Aside from your word walls, what other works will be in your portfolio? Also, are you still going to be working in 3D, or will you do some works flat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aline! Yes, I will have some more 2D pieces because 2D art is what I'm more comfortable making. Although it is out of my comfort zone I still plan to do most of the words on the wall in 3D. I am going to continue with the word walls, but I'm also hoping to do a flower sketch in pencil or ink pen. I'm hoping to somehow incorporate text into the flower, maybe by listing different types of flowers by name in the flower.

      Delete
  2. I like your incorporation of text in your art. Is there any certain artists you are looking at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erica! I am currently researching different artists that use text in their work for inspiration. I am also looking at artists who use repetition in their work because I believe that repetition is powerful and I like the idea of a powerful piece.

      Delete
  3. Are you still going to keep defining your text by the materials that you believe represent the text or do some other process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Josey! Yes, I think that I am going to continue to do that, but only with the word walls. Later I may look into doing some 2D pieces that have text in them, but since they will be 2D I won't be using materials to define the words.

      Delete
  4. You're definitely using multiple senses to define words since you're using visual qualities and the qualities of touch to help shape a definition for them. Maybe you could use even more senses such as smelling/hearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meredith! Thank you! I am so happy you think that because that has been my goal. Using more senses such as smelling and hearing is something that I haven't thought of before. That is definitely something I will consider.

      Delete
    2. Way to push her. Perhaps after this 2D work she can explore this. There is a 3D work that uses rice paper in multiples that I need to find to give you as a reference....that touches on the audible.

      Delete
    3. Now that you are working in the 3D realm, something to consider.

      Delete
  5. Text in art is a different and interesting idea. Art is often thought of as a picture, but adding words to the picture will add a whole new aspect. This will be very interesting to see how you incorporate words into art and make the art actual words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelly! Thank you! I can't wait to see how the rest of the word walls come along and what other materials I will find to define the words I choose.

      Delete
    2. Nice response. This 2D work will inform her 3D for sure.

      Delete
  6. I really like that you are using text in your artwork again. I enjoyed your previous artwork using text. I'm curious to what type of words you will be doing this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abby! Thank you! I am still going to be continuing the project I was doing last semester. Basically what I am doing is two walls full of words. One wall is going to be a wall of "ugly" words and the other wall is going to be a wall of "beautiful" words. They are going to face each other when completed because my goal is for the audience to look at how the walls speak to each other since they are complete opposites.

      Delete