Monday, January 11, 2016

Jenny Holzer

The artist I am focusing on this week is Jenny Holzer. She resides in New York City. She displays many of her pieces in parks, on bridges, and on buildings around the world. She often portrays a message in all of her work to get the attention of the public. Her pieces are light displays and she works with text. I really like this because I feel like she relates to me. Her work has meaning and it displays a message for the general public. Everyone can relate. I like the fact that she displays her work in large, public places to where it really stands out. I have always loved the idea of sending a message to people through artwork. I also like the idea of using light or a projection to do this.


9 comments:

  1. I really like how you are pulling in this artist for your work. I like this idea of casting your ideas out for the whole world to see. I can't wait to see where this takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love how your artwork means something to you especially, but it can relate to others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you use words as art come some people see art and just paint and pen and the simple things, but truly words speak so much. I can not wait to see the words and phrases you pick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you infuse writing with art, and I also love how the artist uses essentially ONLY words as artwork-- It kind of reminds people that literature is also an art in itself (words paint paintings in people's minds, etc... You know. Also, logically, literature is quite literally part of the arts). It's really intriguing. I'm excited to see what you will do! I looked through some of your other posts and I am in love with your pieces. For the most part, do you think HOW you make the piece (the materials you use to make your piece) will convey your message, or do you think the words you instill in your piece (the subject matter) will convey your message? Or both?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using words and text as art is something that I really appreciate. There are more opportunities than you'd think whether it's using different words, different fonts, colors, or even making up your own words to create a different meaning! It's also a timeless style of art as (obviously) all people use words and letters to communicate with each other. Interesting work, Madison!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This so fascinating to me! I would love for you to work through projection. I know you love to paint/fill in words, but you could still write them and project them! I'm excited to see where you go this semester! Your work is always so intriguing with the hidden messages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Madison,
    With the variety of work that you have tackled over last year, regarding media, this would be an interesting one for you to pursue along with your flower as an object. Think about how you might continue the words by projection or insert more. Perhaps the flower could be mounted on a wall and it's stem is a running (continuous) list of projected words from the ground moving upward giving that vertical feel. I think that this might add another element to the work. Consider something using Holzer as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that idea. I had never really thought about a stem and leaves, but I think that would really be something to consider. I have always thought projection was a neat way to express things, especially words. I will think about that!

      Delete
  8. PS Cite the sources for your images!

    ReplyDelete