Monday, March 7, 2016

Bob and Roberta Smith

Bob and Roberta Smith is actually just one man. He currently lives in London. Most of his artwork is in the form of painted signs, which I happen to be a fan of. He views signs as a way of expression. He turns art into political statements to get points across to people.

I discovered him by researching artists that make statements with the work by using text. Lately, I have been exploring with having my voice heard in my art. In some of my past projects, I have used the words in my head and my opinion and have put them on paper for everyone to see, even if I don't want everyone to know why I am saying what I am saying. I feel like he is a good example of this, because I feel like I can relate to some of his pieces without fully understanding why he did them. I feel like I am able to explain. My goal with my art is for people to be able to relate, but only to an extent.

The pictures of the pieces that I attached are some of his pieces that caught my eye. I LOVE bright colors(especially yellow and orange) and I think using bright colors is a good way to get people's attention. I think that the colors you choose to use in your art also affect the message in it. This is why in my art, I use the colors that relate best to the object I am painted on. I also choose colors based on the subject of my words.

I really like the bright colors and bold text in both of these pieces. The colors make each piece pop, but also confirm the mood of a powerful statement and an overall bold piece.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, cite the names of these works and their sources. So you share in his aesthetic here w the color palette. Good connection. Look at the way he activates the space around the letter the font choice and the way he organized this composition. Both pieces seems to have a kinetic feel to them by creating a show effect using another color.

    ReplyDelete