I was trying to find an idea of what to do for my next project. I wrote down the top 5 things that were on my mind at the time, and I chose one to center my project around. I have decided to do my next project centered around Lindsey, my best friend. We are probably not going to be able to see each other as much next year because we probably are not going to be attending the same college. We have exchanged thousands if not millions of text messages over the year and we have had many great laughs and inside jokes. I wanted to continue with the personal theme and I wanted to use words, so I thought it might be a good idea to use an object that represented our friendship and interpret our texts and other things from our friendship on it somehow.
At first, I was going to use a binder from my first year of honor choir where we met to put the words on, but while a binder is semi-significant in this situation, it's just a binder. I wanted to do something more special, more personalized. So, I decided to make a book out of it. I think I am going to make the pages out of something. I really want to use paper, but have also thought about using a fabric of some sort. I really think that I also might want to put the text in there some other way other than just painting it or writing it. I am currently looking for ways to construct my own book.
Check out an artist that Mackenzie blogged about:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.ilariamargutti.com/progetti_skin_en.php.
I was reading further and thought about you and your project. This artist work is related only in some of her conceptual ideas - stretch yourself and look at it. I started thinking about the book idea, the fabric and another way to approach this project. Perhaps you could use a fabric or even a thin paper that you could sew words into that you and your friend have exchanged and then pull the thread w the imprint of the piercing of the fabric or paper left. Some words could still be in tact with the thread describing the word or hanging while others could just be a trace. The idea of your friendship - what was, is and now that you are both moving forward - time and change is taking place. What do the words you have spoken to each other or the communications from the past look like within the context of today and what might be your hope for the future? You can purchase thread that is very fragile and perhaps it could morph into different kinds of material that would represent “thread” and become what? what is your hope? that you stay close, that you will continue to share your inner most thoughts? how might you represent this? would the ‘thread’ that makes up the words be strong and unbreakable? Would this be a chronological work? You could pick one or two phrases that represent different points in time that stand out as your friendship res and deepened. By doing this, how might the ‘thread’ material change in terms of formal matters? for example in color, or the mark - how might it activate the space around the word by altering the font or writing or ... Just a few ideas. Grab hold of something and just start making work.
Also, Madison - incorporate artists you are looking at when thinking about these idea. Artists books - the book bind process itself, materials that artists use as language - these are examples of artists you can blog about and then reconnect it to your work. Remember to cite sources.
ReplyDelete