At the beginning of the year my statement for this blog said that I was centering my posts around my artwork and the main idea of my artwork, which is using text in my work in a variety of formats. I am still continuing this. Throughout the year, I have worked on several projects, all of which somehow had to do with text. I have explored different ways to form text on each project. I have painted words freehandedly, scratched words into plexiglass with a sharp object, used chalk, pastels, crayons, and graphite to write with, and also have burned words into one of my wood pieces with a wood burner. I have also surprised myself and have ended up working on several different "canvases" this year also. The craziest one was definitely a suitcase. I am currently using an old book as a canvas which has been an adventurous experience, because with that many pages there is so much opportunity! I have loved this project so far because I feel like I never run out of room to add things onto since there are so many pages. I am glad that I have stuck to my original focus point because I just love words and text, and it would be impossible for me to part with it.
All of the artists I have blogged about this year all have one thing in common, and it is that they too all work with text in the artwork. I have enjoyed learning about these artists and their work and seeing how they relate to my work as a whole, too. I have found that some of their ideas were also similar to mine in some of my pieces. My favorite thing about the artists that I have blogged about for inspiration is that a few of them put their inner thoughts into their art. They literally turn the small thoughts in their head into beautiful pieces. I have also done this in a few of my pieces, such as the flower and the two word walls. It is a nice way to free yourself of your jumbled inner thoughts but without having to fully reveal yourself. Although the artists and I have used different media in our pieces, (a lot of them used lights to project their pieces) I thought it was neat how well I could relate to them and to get ideas from them.
It has been interesting to see how you go about picking quotes and choosing mediums to use for these different projects! I really like the suitcase that you did! It was really cool. I'm sad that I haven't been able to look at your other pieces from last semester, but maybe I can do that sometime soon if you still have them at the school.
ReplyDelete